Monday, May 9, 2011

By: Robyn Ann

With the help of my sister, I am going to try to explain my walk with God. I went through a variety of lifestyles to get to where I am now. As young kids, we grew up as a Christian family. The beliefs of our family slowly evolved to a somewhat New-Age philosophy. I felt comfortable changing my beliefs because the relationships I had with people were more important to me then my relationship with God. It was easy to give up on the Christian religion because I had never experienced a real encounter with God. As time went on and I got deeper in the beliefs of the New-Age Philosophy I started to feel like I didn't have any drive or motivation. I didn't talk to anyone about all the real things that were going on inside of me because I believed that I had to deal with everything on my own. I didn't talk to close friends or even family about the serious things that were taking place, and a lot of times I didn't even acknowledge that there was a battle going on in me. I denied a lot of feelings and thoughts I had so that I would feel good, and eventually it got to the point where I didn't even notice the battle or the fact that I wasn't truly happy. After my parents separated my life changed and I felt like my eyes were opened up to what was actually going on in me. For a while I tried not to let my life change because the relationships I had were too important, and I didn't want to disappoint anyone. Then I began to feel like I didn't know what to do, I wanted to keep my relationships and I wanted everyone to be happy with me. I felt stuck so I just continued being quiet about everything and tried to figure it our for myself; which I didn't really do on purpose, it was more of a subconscious thing. All along there were people who tried to help me and encourage me. I didn't feel like I needed it because I was "happy" and everything was fine. Since then things have changed for me. Coming to Uganda wasn't planned to be a trip that would change me and make me different... but it has. Blair and I both felt like this was just going to be a trip with our grandparents. We knew it would be fun and we were excited, but didn't really think it would be anything super special. I love Uganda and my love grows stronger each day, but the love I feel for Uganda didn't hit me all at once. I love the people, the experiences, and the love for Jesus that I get to see in people all the time. I think that is why I love it so much, spending time with the people and seeing Jesus in them ... it really encourages me to find God and to seek him first. I feel like since being here I have actually begun to find him, I feel a different kind of peace and happiness in me that I never felt or even knew before. The love I have right now is not as much with the location as it is with God. I am happy to be here and I love experiencing all of this trip with my sister and best friend Blair. My walk with God grows stronger, better, and bigger each new day. I am so grateful for the relationship I have with God, it is different and better than before. He is better than I could ever imagine! This trip has been life changing for me, and I am happy to say that it is not over. I hope that I will only grow closer to God, that is what I am focusing on. God is my healer and provider. Psalm 18:2 "The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety."

1 comment:

  1. Robyn this is perfect! I love where you are, spiritually, mentally, emotionally and in Africa. I am so glad that you are there and doing so great! When you return America will smile again! lol

    Daddy

    ReplyDelete