Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bukeeka

Sunday is the day for praise. We took a van to the village of Bukeeka (said like Boo-kay-ku) for church. The drive was a good amount of time and beautiful but bumpy. When we arrived we were late, but thats the slowness of Africa speaking. everyone takes their time and enjoys every moment. Robert (their paster and man who started the school) seated us at the front to face the crowd. All the children stared at us. The African people are not shy and they always stare because we are white and they like us. Today Derek was our preacher and he was very passionate about it. They all are so free in their passion and love for God. In an american church you don't see the pastor jumping up and down when he preaches or sweat because he is practically yelling the entire sermon. They feel so strongly about their beliefs and they aren't afraid to show it in ways that an american would say is crazy and embarrassing. The kids were so interested in us, and they would stare even when you looked at them. One girl would look down every time i looked at her and i would smile. It was so unusual for me to see a kid be shy and not look at me when i acknowledged her. Later on she stood by me for a long time and would let me put my hand on her shoulder or rub her arm or back. She has the sweetest smile i have ever seen. During the service another little girl who was maybe 2 or 3 im guessing, did not take her eyes off me. After church we were greeted by everyone. There were tons of kids and they made rounds of greetings. i probably shook the same hands 3 times. When they would greet us they would get on their knees as a sign of respect. when they kneeled i would kneel with them because they were so little. Our group decided to walk around the school because it was knew and the were doing renovations. The kids would grab our hands as we walked and they ALL followed. As i started walking i felt a tiny hand slip into mine. I looked down and noticed it was the little girl who was staring at me during the whole sermon. When i looked down at her i smiled and she smiled back at me. It was a tiny smile and not the big grin you usually get. She walked with me the whole time and stayed very close to me. She had stolen my heart so quick and easy. When my sister or another person from our group would come up to her or smile at her she would stand behind my leg. I felt my heart grow, and i felt strange inside. When all the kids were looking at pictures of one of the group members, she looked at them then looked at me and i knew she was asking so we walked together. When the time came to leave i wanted to bring her with me more then anything. i got on my knees to say goodbye and she hugged my neck so tight and i felt tears begin in my throat. I kissed her on the forehead and held her hands for a little bit. She grinned so big i couldn't help but grin with her. When i walked away she looked like she was going to cry. My heart stays with her always. She never talked to me but she didnt have to. I am praying for her constantly because during our walk i found out she was VERY sick. She had a really bad cough, not a cold cough but one that tears your lunges. She was feverish too. I would give everything to be able to take care of that little girl and bring her home with me. We plan on going back there soon so i hope to see her and love her some more.

1 comment:

  1. This made me cry! Partially probably because I am pregnant and emotional, but mostly because I am so glad to read about your heart being moved. Wish I was there with you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete